Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Ridiculously Delicious Rhubarb Blueberry Crisp

I recently became obsessed with rhubarb! I just love the way the word sounds - rhubarb, rhubarb, rhubarb. Never in my thirty years have I ever tried this odd fruit, so I became obsessed finding where to buy it and finding the perfect recipe. I had no idea what to expect! So, I bought some rhubarb at my local farmer's market and adapted a recipe I found on about.com.

How to choose rhubarb: Look for brightly hued (reddish) stalks that are firm and crisp. Often rhubarb is sold with its leaves, but only the stalks are edible. Just think about it like choosing some good fresh celery, except it's red.

Rhubarb Blueberry Crisp Recipe

Ingredients

Crumb Mixture
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 3/4 cup oats
  • 1/2 cup melted butter
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
Fruit
  • 3 cups sliced rhubarb
  • 1 small container blueberries
  • 1/2 lemon

Sugar Mixture

  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
In mixing bowl, combine brown sugar, flour, oats, butter and cinnamon. Mix together until crumbly. Press half of the crumb mixture into a buttered 9-inch baking dish. Top with sliced rhubarb and blueberries; squeeze lemon over fresh fruit.

In a saucepan combine 3/4 cup sugar, cornstarch, water and vanilla. Cook together until clear, then pour over rhubarb and blueberries. Top with the remaining crumb mixture. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 to 55 minutes.

Serve warm over vanilla ice cream and get ready to enjoy a ridiculously delicious crisp! Bon Appetit!

Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment